I know, this information is posted in several locations, the problem is it did not work as I expected.
I use nvidia cards (obviously) and when booting the Fedora 15 live CD (gnome and xfce) the nouveau driver failed. Although at first all seemed well, and the initial resolution on my monitors was normal, as the live Cd finishes booting, my primary monitor goes black (gnome) or white (xfce) and I can not start applications or access the console (ctrl-alt-F1 failed).
To install an configure Fedora 15 and the nvidia drivers :
1. Boot the fedora 15 live CD, at the boot screen choose the failsafe graphics option.
2. Perform the installation in low graphics mode, reboot.
3. You will then need to enable the rpmfusion repos and install then nvidia-kmod. At the time of this post, the nvidia akmod fails as it did not build the nvidia module.
Enable the rpmfussion repos:
su -c 'yum localinstall --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm'
Install the nvidia driver
su -c "yum install -y nvidia-settings nvidia-kmod"
4. Do not reboot just yet, first you need to configure X (otherwise it will boot to a console and X will fail).
su -c "nvidia-xconfig"
5. Now reboot and X will at least start. Log in and run nvidia-settings
su -c "nvidia-settings"
Set your monitor resolutions and save the file (do not merge with the old file).
Common problem I have seen solution for are :
1. Some people have had to run dracut manually after installing the nvidia kmod.
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img \
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
2. Make sure to blacklist the nouveau driver by adding ‘rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0’ are on the kernel line in /bot/grub/grub.conf
rpmfusion maintains a page on the nvidia module here.